The Cherry Tree


by Szabolcs László

I remember always climbing trees when I was a little kid. ‘Don’t climb on trees you can’t get down from!’, my mother used to say, which seemed kind of absurd to me since the only way you find out that you can’t get down is by climbing up first. And so I did. I climbed up on oak trees, plum trees, apple trees, pine trees, old ones, young ones, exotic ones, hidden ones, branchless palm trees, bushy walnut-trees, protected reservation trees, and plain old simple suburban trees that had nothing special to give, only the sweet joy of lifting me up above the street level, and into an exciting state of camouflage and secrecy among the leaves. I didn’t do much while up there but sit quietly on a comfortable branch, waiting and meditating, longing for something undefined, gazing on the world from my elevated position. I didn’t spit on or scare anybody passing below, or carve stupid initials into the bark of the tree. No, I would just sit ten-fifteen feet up an oak tree, holding tightly the branches or the trunk, and smell the fresh air, and look at all the small people in the distance. It was a refreshing loneliness.
So anyway, there was this cherry tree in front of our building, the proud accomplishment of the downstairs neighbor who planted and raised it since he moved into his apartment, ages ago. By the time I was five or six, the cherry tree was already as tall as the building, a handsome and strong presence next to the main entrance. Every year in June it turned sparkling red, with the big juicy and lascivious cherries waving at me just outside of our kitchen window, yet not close enough to be grabbed. It drove me crazy. Such perfect and tasty things – just outside my reach. And each year, the neighbor would bring a giant ladder, and meticulously pluck them from right under my nose, stripping the tree of all its fruit.

Needless to say, the cherry tree fascinated us kids. I mean, how could it not? We wanted to climb up so bad, just to get a taste of that forbidden fruit, which was very probably infinitely better than the cherries our moms bought at the market. We were sure of that. The problem was that climbing that cherry tree was a mission impossible, and not just because the neighbor guarded it like a watchdog. Climbing it was unfathomable mainly because it had no branches on its lower part, which meant nothing to hang onto in the first twenty feet of the ascent. And for a six-year-old that is quite a challenge.
So one June day one of the kids says that he saw the grumpy neighbor, this cherry fascist, who actually was a lonely retired engineer, leave on his bicycle, and that here’s our chance to finally steal some precious cherry before he strips the tree again. Our enthusiasm rose high, but none had initiative. We stared gapingly up to the heights of the laden branches, and wished for a cherry-picking elevator or something. Eventually, I found myself stepping next to the tree, measuring its width with my hands to see if I can firmly wrap them around the trunk. I was able to hug it, just barely. And then I wrapped my feet around it too, and started climbing – I was probably dared to do it, I’m not sure.
It was exactly like climbing a palm tree, like I tried on the Croatian seaside the previous summer. And boy, it is a painfully slow procedure, not a blitzkrieg at all. While clutching your feet around the rough trunk you move your hands upwards to hug the tree a few inches higher. Then you clutch your arms around it to move your feet a couple of inches. You repeat this as fast as you can and as firm as you can, ‘cause if you loosen the grip, you fall on your ass, and that’s not pretty.
So I was busily clutching and hugging and cutting myself in million little ways, half-way up the branchless part, when this old hag from the second floor comes shrieking out of the building, bringing an explosion of cursing and swearing. Something involving us goddamn kids who fucking don’t care about the fucking private property of our fucking neighbors, and who the hell do we think we are, and then some more fucking hell, and the damn tree, and then something about our mothers and their private parts.

All the kids scrambled from around the cherry tree, and I was left all alone hanging at fifteen feet. The old hag quickly announced the neighbor, who, of course, was very much at home, and interrupted his afternoon siesta to come and shout at me. In stereo, with the old bitch. He even brought an old, wooden broom with him, and started jumping around to hit me on the back or sting me in the ass with it.
So just imagine it, I’m half way up the cherry tree, my legs and arms are clutched around the trunk. I’m holding on like crazy. Of course, by this time I am kind of scared so I hug the tree even stronger. And stronger. My arms and legs are strapped around the tree like I am holding on to a flying missile. And then, all of a sudden, out of nowhere, this feeling kicks in. This amazing, numbing feeling starts spreading from my loin like a fever. I clutch tighter, and tighter, and the feeling grows stronger, and stronger. I have no idea what is happening to me. I can’t see, I can’t hear, I don’t feel the neighbor stinging my ass with his broom-stick, I am gradually hugging myself into this new and strange heaven that starts at my tiny, squashed dick, and marches triumphantly into my startled, numbed brain.
Man, I must have looked great up there, fifteen feet from the ground, insanely holding on to the cherry tree, while, one after the other, our neighbors were coming out of their apartments to join the screaming crowd, and they were all staring at my skinny ass, and discussing about this obnoxious and impertinent little child, the son of the math teacher from the 4th floor, who the fuck does he think he is, stealing in the light of day. Well, to be honest, at that moment, I really had no idea who the fuck I was. I was grabbing that cherry tree so tightly that I felt I was one with it, morphing into the trunk, sliding under the tree-skin, becoming some liquid mineral in the inner channels of the giant plant. My nose got pushed into the dry bark, I inhaled the crust and the ants and the smeared pigeon shit, and my mind was blown away.

Down on earth, things were probably starting to get serious, some of the people were still shouting, the retired engineer was sending aggressive threats up the tree trunk, looking for stones to send those up as well, and they were all impatiently waiting for me to get tired already, and climb down, so they can grab my ear or my arm, and have their way with me. But I wasn’t tired, I didn’t even remember what that felt like – I was in heaven up there, almost unconscious, with a big goofy smile on my face, like the guy who discovered the tree of happiness. The sweet rush of a fever had peaked, and there was a relaxing and soothing feeling spreading inside my body, and into my limbs. It was like angels caressing you everywhere, with blessed feathers of joy.

I think I woke up when I heard my dad calling my name. I looked down, and I saw him standing next to his bicycle, he probably just arrived home from school, and found his only son hanging from a cherry tree with the whole neighborly charade in front of our building. ‘Son, what are you doing up there?’ I couldn’t get my senses together so I blurted, ‘Nothing’. I mean, what else could I have possibly said – I had no words for what actually happened to me up there in that tight hug. ‘Didn’t I tell you not to climb on that tree?’ I couldn’t utter a word, not one sound, it was physically painful to speak, like breaking some spell. ‘So are you gonna squat up there all day?’, my father asked. And honestly, at that moment I wished I could do exactly that, hug the cherry tree all day, all year, for ever and ever. Who knows what miracle I experienced up there? Who knows if I would be part of it again? I was determined to hold on as long as it was humanly possible. And, you know, in a way, I am still holding on, I believe, in my head and in my dreams, when I’m lonely, when I’m fed up with people, when I’m rejected, when I long for something undefined, when I suffer and wait and meditate, I always look for that cherry tree, I put my hand around it, and I clutch and I hug and I grab and I squeeze, until my goofy smile returns, and I find myself in heaven once again.