Imaginary Letter to Dillon Lions’ (formerly Panthers’) Coach Eric Taylor

by Misa Ragsly

April 6, 2011

Dear Coach Taylor,

While you’re in Dillon, Texas, being the moral center of a TV show about football, I’m at a banquet hall in Westchester. My friend Steph is getting married. She’s on the dance floor in bridal white lace with her troupe of sisters in blue taffeta cocktail dresses, the same colors as your Dillon Panthers, before you were ousted and headed east. They’ve choreographed a dance which Steph’s sister Maureen has promised to post on You Tube “Asap”. They’ve got pom poms and bull horns, cheering to that song, “Hey, Mickey, You’re so fine, You’re so fine, you blow my mind”. Guess what her husband’s name is? They remind me of your Panther cheerleaders right before a big game, except these bridesmaids are flat out drunk. You know about big games, don’t you? It seems like every week you have an important match-up that could determine the outcome of the entire season. Stakes as high as the hair you have down there in Texas. The bride’s updo, I must say, is coming real close to knocking on heaven’s door, so we can get pretty high up here too.
Your wife has told you, and I think it’s true, you are a molder of men. I’ve never had a coach. The closest I’ve come was in gymnastics class when I was about 5, and you’re not really coached so much as babysat while wearing leotards. Mine were always purple, a color I wore my whole life until my first year in New York when a homeless guy called me Barney. I loved the idea of becoming a gymnast, even if I did look like a fat round grape. But it all ended when I was stuck on the trampoline with a full bladder, afraid to jump off by myself. If you were there, you would have looked deep in my eyes and told me I could do it. Do you realize you have a thing you do? You clench your jaw, close your lips and chew the inside of your mouth. It means the truth is coming. Your eyes turn steel. You would have made me believe that I could believe in myself. If you were my coach, I could have walked out of there without pee dripping down my leg.
Is it a coincidence that the boys you take under your wing are the ones that don’t have a dad? Matty’s is in Afghanistan. By choice! And your fullback, number 33, Tim Riggins, him of the greasy-haired hangover, his father chose hustling games at the golf course a day’s drive away. And when Brian “Smash” Williams snapped his knee and lost his scholarship, you made him believe he still had a chance. You’ve drilled the Panther motto into them all, Clear Eyes, full heart, can’t lose. His mom, single with two other kids, tells him, “You listen to Coach.” It made me think that mothers teach and dads coach. As, I’ve said, I’ve never had a coach.
You must have had a good father. I see this missing from many people’s lives. Steph and Mickey applied for a credit card to cover some of the costs they weren’t expecting. Is a cake worth a couple of grand? Is a DJ really better than an ipod just because they provide you with real feathers for the Chicken Dance? That’s when Steph realized her credit was shot. I mean shot dead like that rapist Landry killed in the convenience store parking lot. I know, he used a steel pipe, not a gun, but a dead man is a dead man. That sounds like something you’d say in Texas, Coach. She realized that someone stole her identity and racked up so much debt, she had to file bankruptcy and Mickey’s family had to start a collection for this wedding to even happen. It was her father. Needless to say, he was dis-invited. He’s not here tonight to see his daughter dance, but hey, there’s always You Tube. Maybe you should consider, Coach, working on the fathers of your players? Or is it just to late to mold a man already set in his ways?

Sincerely,
Melissa Ragsly
Bronx, NY