Three Microfictions

by J. J. Steinfeld



Imagining Here…Imagining There…Being Hardly Anywhere



I am here. Im nothing here. I shouldnt be here. I have stumbled here. Here is where Im fated to be. Here it is. It is here. Here I go. Here and now. Now and here. I hear voices talking about here. The voices say God is here. The voices say God is not here. Nothing but hearsay. Hearsay about nothing. Hear about here. Here and there, but it is here that predominates. Here and here, there and there. Here, here, here. Yet shouldnt I be there, not here? My existence is here, but I want to be there existentially. Here I go again. And again. Does anyone here hear me? Why am I here in the first place? Here



I am there. How can I be in two places at the same time, without cutting myself in half? Maybe thats what Hell is, being two places at the same time and neither place making a whole lot of sense except during the most inclement weather, when its raining truths, as much as that hurts ones body, or the memory of ones body. Or it could be Heaven, where youre rewarded with two selves in two Heavenly locations, each self lying to the other, the lies miraculously culminating in sense and the memory of having been there. There

I am here and there, a swirling of discomforting contradictions in search of comforting dilemmas, sleep as waking, waking as sleep. I do have a recollection of the most senseful loving kiss imaginable, but I cant for the life of me remember if it was here or it was there. Thats what this attempt to grasp chronology and being must be, locating and seeing oneself, spatially here and there, trying to imagine the imaginable, and realizing that the thinking about where I am is what is most difficult to imagine. Imagining here Imagining there

Being hardly anywhere

*

The Beginning of an Imaginary Autobiography

This is my autobiography, begun today at the crack of dawn, even before I’ve had my first coffee of the morning or felt my first pang of regret, yet it isn’t chronological or especially personal and has an awkward coherency. But it’s not dishonest, even if it may be short on the factual. Basically, fragments bouncing off fragments like an angry chain reaction in a far-off lab. I cannot tell you my name because God may be watching and I do not want to alienate God any more than I already have in my chaotic, jumbled life. I'm also not going to say whether I'm married or not, if I have any political affiliation, my favourite breakfast cereal, even my age, and I'm not going to divulge my religion, or whether I fear dying or not. Before I get too far into my autobiography I should mention that I’m imaginary, and don't want you getting me mixed up with the author. What an uneasy relationship I have with the author, to say the least. We don't talk, even over drinks. I like to keep my distance from authors, even the one who has created me. But all this said, or not said, most or all my autobiography is a love song, contradictory as that may sound. Off-key maybe, somewhat strident, but a love song all the same. Yes, a heartfelt love song of existing.
In my autobiography, dreams are important, both waking and sleeping. You know, the dream within a dream within a dream, and then there's a gargantuan thunderstorm and Zeus thunderbolts wake you but you're already awake, and you realize by the process of elimination that it’s not a reality-TV show, or a low-budget feature film, or a controversial stage play, or even a dreadfully tedious home movie. It's one of those disjointed days. Along with the dreams, prominent in this autobiography will be musings and introspection and existential angst and— Whew, let me pause and take a deep metaphysical breath. A life lived, that's what this fragmentary exploration is all about. How many thoughts does a person have in a lifetime? How many words and regrets and desires and fantasies and apologies? What is the proper measurement for a life? Where is the consciousness odometer? However, I'll leave the statistical appraisal to the census takers and score keepers and those who have perfected systems of keeping track of the days while incarcerated. Let me continue before I run out of time. That's one of the dangers about life or writing an imaginary autobiography—running out of time.

*

Who Would Have Predicted That First Contact Would Have Been Made
as Early as This Winter?

With me yet, of all the planets billions of beings. And during a winter snowstorm that makes it hard to see much past ones nose. This first-hand report isnt official, of course, but hard to argue with such face-to-face empirical proof, even during a snowstorm. Astonishingly, the odd space creature asks me to reveal my biggest existential disappointment ever. I cant deny Im much more surprised that this creature pronounced existential beautifully than its odd otherworldly appearance. After all, Im a retired philosophy professor who has the fondest memories of lecturing to thousands and thousands of undergraduates over the years about existentialism, which was my beloved academic field of expertise and research. Enough of dwelling in the memories of a not all that out-of-the-ordinary life. Im part of something transcendently historic in the here and now, and Im fumbling for words, but here it goes: Until a few minutes ago, the winter of my one hundredth year, never meeting an extraterrestrial